Mapmaking 101 - "Palistone" Walls
Here's another article by yet another forum regular. This time
it's dealing with a little trick discovered by Irish Stag. It's all about walls and
mixing wood with stone creating what he aptly called "palistone"
walls. Basically there are two distinct items, one are wooden
walkways, the other combines crenelation with wooden walls.
Here's how to make them.
Wooden WalkwaysTo create wooden walls that units can walk on, follow these six steps, as illustrated below in figure 1.
- Place a single column of stone wall with stairs leading up to it on one side, and two columns of crenellations on the other side.
- Place an enemy’s spearman near the section of stairs that was just built.
- Move the spearman very close to the first column of stairs.
- Order him to attack the crenellations that were built. When the first column of stairs begins to crumble (usually after about 2.3 seconds), move him closer to the next column of undamaged stairs, and order him to attack the crenellations. Keep doing this until each column of stairs has slightly crumbled.
- Place wooden walls on top of the ruined stairs; they should now look like wooden walls with small platforms on top.
- Delete the column of stone wall and the two columns of crenellations, and you’re done! To make the wooden walkways longer, just repeat the process next to the completed walkways.
Wooden CrenellationsTo create wooden walls with stone crenellations on top, follow these seven steps, as illustrated below in figure 2.
- Place a few columns of stone wall.
- On one side of the stone wall, place some crenellations.
- Delete the stone wall columns.
- Place an enemy’s spearman near the crenellations.
- Move the spearman very close to the first column of crenellations.
- Order him to attack the crenellations until that column begins to crumble, then move him very close to the next column, order him to attack until it becomes slightly damaged, etc. Keep doing this until all columns are slightly damaged.
- Place wooden walls on top of the damaged crenellations, and they will become wooden walls with stone crenellations on top.
Back to the index