Website Announcements and Updates
Moderated by Lady Arcola, Doomsword

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Speed Contest!
posted 03-15-04 13:37 EST (US)   
ı

As promised here are the details for the current Stronghold Contest.

You will probbaly recognise this map.
If not, shame on you!
Our good friend Duke of York created this map for the Historical Castle Contest, and it turned out to be the perfect map for a little Speed contest.

So what are we expecting of you?
First you'll have to download this splendid map which you can find here. Then you will have to play it and win.
You will have to do so in the fastest time you can manage, and the fastest time will win.

Should we get equal times we will use the following additional criteria to decide on a winner.

• Amount of gold acquired
  • Number of soldiers surviving

You have until April 15th to sumbit the save game, zipped, to GillB. We are only going to consider your first entry as a valid entry so be careful as to when you submit.

Good luck!

Late Breaking News!
We are assuming you play the game at Normal Difficulty.

ı with thanks to Earl Listibald for this lovely composite screenshot.

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
Support your local Heaven • My Recommendations • EXCO • HALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 03-17-2004 @ 02:33 AM).]

Replies:
posted 03-15-04 14:15 EST (US)     1 / 25  
But shouldn't everyone play on the same difficulty level to make it a fair contest? It's a lot faster to win on 'Easy' than 'Very Hard'...

"That buzzing-noise means something. You don't get a buzzing-noise like that, just buzzing and buzzing, without its meaning something. If there's a buzzing-noise, somebody's making a buzzing-noise, and the only reason for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is because you're a bee." — Winnie-the-Pooh, the World's greatest philosopher

Tower of Stronghold & Crusader Scenario Design

posted 03-15-04 14:37 EST (US)     2 / 25  
Very good point, yoshi.

I expect normal would be the way to go, but let me get back to you on this?

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
posted 03-15-04 15:03 EST (US)     3 / 25  
Setting the gamespeed really low makes most maps radically more easy. Perhaps a good tip for anyone who will partake?
(I don't plan to enter myself)
posted 03-15-04 15:05 EST (US)     4 / 25  
I think most people entering will know that

Although it can make a map dreadfully dull...

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 03-16-2004 @ 10:22 AM).]

posted 03-15-04 15:10 EST (US)     5 / 25  
That's why I don't plan to enter.
It's basically a slow contest instead of a speed contest, lol.

[This message has been edited by Lord Ako (edited 03-15-2004 @ 04:01 PM).]

posted 03-15-04 20:02 EST (US)     6 / 25  
First, I think that anyone that puts the speed setting on low would be cheating.

Second, I think it would take them an eternity an possibly the entire month to play and win.

Duke of York
"..The Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world." 1 John 4:14
posted 03-17-04 02:29 EST (US)     7 / 25  
I am not sure whether i am welcome at this site anymore but congrats Duke of york they sure did pick a good map for this contest. I don't think many will enter in this comp though, it doesen't seem exciting enough although if i was welcome here i probably would. I have been building a great reputation at SHK i have also made friends so maybe my absence from this site was for the best. Sorry about the past but good luck in the future.

The forgotten Lord Arthus

posted 03-17-04 02:39 EST (US)     8 / 25  
I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to enter. Arthus.

Angel Jayhawk
posted 03-17-04 02:51 EST (US)     9 / 25  
really jayhawk have you forgotten about our disagreement already? well thats great to hear who knows maybe i will be a regular visitor like before. I sure have missed this site so thanks i assure you i have changed for the better. I will enter the comp
posted 03-17-04 03:08 EST (US)     10 / 25  
If disagreeing with people was equal to kicking them off the site, most of these forums would be pretty empty.

Please remember that you were the one that walked off in a huff because you felt like it, not because I asked you too.

Angel Jayhawk
posted 03-17-04 04:59 EST (US)     11 / 25  
Yes i know but i walked off in anger for a certain person (not mentioning any names) anyway whats done is done lets just forget about it ok?
I will however watch what i write from now on.
posted 03-17-04 05:36 EST (US)     12 / 25  

Quote:

I will however watch what i write from now on.

That's all I ever asked of you, Arthus.

Enjoy the contest.

Angel Jayhawk
posted 03-31-04 05:33 EST (US)     13 / 25  
I wish to submit an entry in the Speed Contest. However, I would like to get some clarification on exactly what to submit. I understand we are to submit a saved game. I know what a saved game is, where it's located, how to zip it and email it.

My confusion is this. A game goes through several of what I'll call "states" when it is played. If there is a victory message scripted (as there is in Arundel Castle) the game is played and continues up to the meeting of the victory conditions (economic in this case). At that point it triggers another state, first displaying the victory message ("The King notes well your victory this day..." in this case), and then waiting one month. At the one month mark the game goes into the victory state, displaying the word "Victory" and locking out further user input. It then calculates the stats, blanks the screen and displays the stats. A mouse click will then exit the game.

The game can be saved before victory conditions are met, or it can be saved after they are met and after the victory message is displayed ("The King notes well..."). Once the words "Victory" appear on the screen the game can no longer be saved.

Is it best to submit the saved game just before or after victory conditions are met?

Thanks

posted 04-03-04 08:28 EST (US)     14 / 25  
Sparrow,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I will look into that today. I believe that as soon as you achieve victory and you get the victory message - it takes you to a score. If you click the mouse - it takes you back to the map and that is when you should save it. I will look at it this afternoon after the kids are down for their nap and see what I can find you for you.

DoY

Duke of York
posted 04-09-04 12:43 EST (US)     15 / 25  
Just a reminder that there's less than a week to submit your entries.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 04-11-04 17:59 EST (US)     16 / 25  
The save you send in should be from just before you meet the last victory condition and then we will run it from there.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 04-15-04 03:14 EST (US)     17 / 25  
Last day of competition - entries to be in to me by midnight tonight EST (forum time).

I know of at least one entry that didn't arrive - I always acknowledge receipt of entries, so if I haven't acknowledged your entry, I haven't had it and please mail me so I can give you an alternative address to send it to.

posted 04-19-04 21:41 EST (US)     18 / 25  
If anyone has any questions or needs some hints, I would be happy to give some pointers on the map. I will not tell you how to win (specificly) but I will give pointers to those who ask.

Duke of York
posted 05-26-04 12:57 EST (US)     19 / 25  
Did I miss something? I cannot recall ever seeing the results posted for this contest.

No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.
++33rd Psalm, Verses 16-18++
posted 05-26-04 14:14 EST (US)     20 / 25  
They should be out today or tomorrow.
I'll explain why they were so late, when they are.

Angel Jayhawk
posted 05-31-04 15:37 EST (US)     21 / 25  
Any news on when the competition results will be announced?
posted 06-02-04 02:45 EST (US)     22 / 25  
You should have gotten an email by now Sparrow (and I haven't had a chance to check my mail to see if you replied )
I'll probably news it this evening (after I had a chance to check my mail )

Angel Jayhawk
posted 02-04-05 14:58 EST (US)     23 / 25  
OMG. I worked on this map for an *enternity*!! Forget the speed contest, I just wanted to take control of the castle.

I couldn't.

Any ideas? I still have this map, and about to break in a new player with it.

Lura McKeoch
posted 02-04-05 23:33 EST (US)     24 / 25  
Hi Lura,
Since I was the only entrant and by default, the winner of the Arundel Speed Contest I feel it may be incumbant on me to provide you with a walk through. I posted it in what is probably a more appropriate forum for it. You can find it on this site in:

Stronghold: Game Help & Strategy Discussions

under the title:

Walk Through for Arundel Castle 1302

Good luck.

posted 02-05-05 04:06 EST (US)     25 / 25  
Thank you Sparrow that was wonderful of you.

Ğ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğ
Seraph Lady Arcola
"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."
"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." -Walter Winchell

~ BFME2 Heaven | Stronghold Heaven | Stronghold 2 Heaven~
Ğ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğşİşĞ..ğ
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Website Announcements and Updates » A Speed Contest!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames