Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: STRONGHOLD DESIGN COMPETITION
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 11-27-03 02:34 EST (US)   
Our first poll asked which kind of competition you preferred, and the overwhelming majority voted for Stronghold Design. We would therefore like to introduce:

The Stronghold Historical Castle Competition.

Stronghold Heaven is proud to present the Historical Castle competition. We are asking all you designers out there to put on your thinking caps, dust off your keyboards and get down to designing yourself a castle.

Using the original Stronghold, so no Stronghold: Crusader submissions please, we'd like you to design a Stronghold version of a castle from the annals of history. Your entry should be as close to your chosen castle as possible, but can be of any of the available mission types. We'd like you to base any scenario details on historical events, but we're open to some creative 'What if?' scenarios as well.

For the winners we can offer a HG t-shirt and every one will get a spot on the Hall of Fame. Depending on the circumstances, your entry may also feature in a future issue of Castle of the Week.

So what exactly are we asking you to do?

• The map and castle should be based, as accurately as possible, on a real historical castle.

• The scenario should be based on a historical event involving that castle, or on a feasible What if?

• A link to a site with information about the Real Castle™ should be provided so we can check the castle's accuracy or, if not available, enough information for us to check out the historicity of it.

Other rules and notes:

• The closing date for entries is 31st January 2004.

• All scenario categories can be used.

• We will only accept scenarios that have not been uploaded before, but you can submit a scenario based on a castle already featured on Stronghold Heaven.

• Entries will be judged by the SH Staff on accuracy, historical merit and (of course) playability.

Entries should be sent to Sulis-21@tiscali.co.uk

Good luck!
The Stronghold Heaven Staff

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures

[This message has been edited by GillB (edited 11-29-2003 @ 01:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11-27-03 09:47 EST (US)     1 / 90  
Hey, Can we use a castle from a movie? Heres the pic.

SRC=http://www.itsmysite.com/italianstalian91.jpg
HSPACE=5 VSPACE=5 ALIGN=LEFT>

posted 11-27-03 09:51 EST (US)     2 / 90  
Woops heres website

EDITED POST

Link to website shows a minimap of another author.

Italianstalian, please check your email.

[This message has been edited by Sulis (edited 11-30-2003 @ 07:38 AM).]

posted 11-27-03 10:07 EST (US)     3 / 90  
No, it says 'real castle' ... not a fictional one I'm afraid.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 11-27-03 13:56 EST (US)     4 / 90  
This sounds great - we will get working on it around Christmas - gotta find a castle first!
posted 11-27-03 15:27 EST (US)     5 / 90  
Sounds great! I was ready for a break after working on my last map (Miskolc Diosgyor) but now that there is a competition, I guess I'll have to jump back into the saddle and start researching another castle again. My wife fussed at me for spending to much time on the computer. Maybe if I explain to her that there is a competition, she'll understand???

Well, here goes. I plan to undertake Raglan Castle in Wales. It looks to be a very interesting castle and I am excited about the challenge.

Duke of York

[This message has been edited by Duke of York (edited 11-27-2003 @ 03:35 PM).]

posted 11-27-03 19:37 EST (US)     6 / 90  
How many entries will be permitted per member? Is it possible to submit a past map? Berkhamsted 1104 A.D. was such a labour of love for me, I would like to see how it does. I would also like to make a new map for submittance as well. Do you see my quandry honorable Angel?

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah
posted 11-27-03 19:51 EST (US)     7 / 90  
Sadly, Unik, under 'Other rules & notes' it says:

Quote:

We will only accept scenarios that have not been uploaded before, but you can submit a scenario based on a castle already featured on Stronghold Heaven.

This was for several reasons, including that previous scenarios weren't made to a time limit etc. So, in other words, you could make another map based on another event in Berkhamsted's history ... though not a lot else happened there (I went to school in the town for 11 years ...)

A limit to the number of entries per person wasn't actually discussed, but I can't see any reason to limit them although it might be best to wait for Jayhawk to confirm that before anyone starts to make half a dozen scenarios at once

posted 11-27-03 21:23 EST (US)     8 / 90  
I might be getting Stronghold soon, but can we use Crusader, or should it just be the original SH?

`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·SnakeEyes·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
Resident Hebrew Tribesman
.:Woad creations:Blackstorm Inventions:.
AoE is my game,
SnakeEyes is my name!!!

posted 11-28-03 02:59 EST (US)     9 / 90  

Quote:

Using the original Stronghold, so no Stronghold: Crusader submissions please

From the second paragraph. Stronghold only.

The Bretwalda Chronicles: Northumbria|Anglia|Mercia
"There is material enough in a single flower for the ornament of a score of cathedrals" - John Ruskin
posted 11-28-03 04:51 EST (US)     10 / 90  
Multiple entries...

I think anyone that can make more than one entry in this limited time, has too much time on his hands

So...I don't I'll have too much of a problem with two or maybe three entries, but if someone intends to send us a full dozen, I'd suggest s/he thinks carefully of whether any of them will stand the remotest chance of winning.

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
Support your local Heaven • My Recommendations • EXCO • HALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
posted 11-28-03 07:34 EST (US)     11 / 90  
Ah... Duke of York

I see you have undertaken Raglan Castle - I have made it myself but it was not good enough to go on the internet and it was never finished. Anyway I will be interested to see how it goes.

We have changed our minds. Still in Wales though and going for a less well known castle - Llansteffan in the South on the coast. It looks great!

Check it out -

http://www.greatcastlesofwales.co.uk/llansteffan_plan.htm

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 11-29-2003 @ 04:48 AM).]

posted 11-28-03 11:50 EST (US)     12 / 90  
Do ya know, I might even have a crack at this !!

The master of making easy look hard ---- What's wrong with Scooby Doo boxers?
Cockfosters visitor via a stunt cannon ---- Fan of the Great Cornholio Tee shirt dance
Coyote ugly beauty, parrott mangler & all round good egg ---- Have leather pants will travel
posted 11-28-03 11:52 EST (US)     13 / 90  
Go for it Rocky

posted 11-28-03 15:17 EST (US)     14 / 90  
That would be great, Rocky! The more, the merrier!

"There is material enough in a single flower for the ornament of a score of cathedrals" - John Ruskin
posted 11-28-03 19:58 EST (US)     15 / 90  
One more question, Can two people submit the same castle? I see everybody naming their choices with their posts. If I have missed this in the rules, forgive me.

If that be the case then I claim Harlech.

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 11-28-2003 @ 07:59 PM).]

posted 11-29-03 03:54 EST (US)     16 / 90  
I see no reason why two people can't submit the same castle. The choice is yours, UnikUnok

posted 11-29-03 04:51 EST (US)     17 / 90  
I have edited our posting above because we are going for a different castle - Llansteffan Castle.

Check it out here

http://www.greatcastlesofwales.co.uk/llansteffan_plan.htm

UnikUnok - I see you have chosen Harlech - it is very concentric. I am very interested to see how you make this map as I have looked into it and it looks quite hard to make.

Good luck

posted 11-29-03 06:03 EST (US)     18 / 90  
Unik - I was surprised people were naming the castle they chose but there's nothing in the rules to say you do or don't have to. And also no problem with 2 people doing the same castle as no 2 designs are going to look the same.

posted 11-29-03 06:58 EST (US)     19 / 90  
My castle :

Rhuddlam Castle

Quite complicated but beautiful anyway.

=====MarshalVader=====
Darkness? Yes.
My Recommendations

posted 11-29-03 06:59 EST (US)     20 / 90  
sorry double post..

=====MarshalVader=====
Darkness? Yes.
My Recommendations

[This message has been edited by MasterLordVader (edited 11-29-2003 @ 06:59 AM).]

posted 11-29-03 07:53 EST (US)     21 / 90  
The Welsh castles are really coming out to play. In my opinion the best site for them is this -

http://www.castlewales.com/maps.html

It has a list and full pictures and articles on every Welsh castle. Really useful, eh...

[This message has been edited by NAT (edited 11-29-2003 @ 07:54 AM).]

posted 11-29-03 09:32 EST (US)     22 / 90  

Quote:

From the second paragraph. Stronghold only.

Sorry, that slipped through

`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·SnakeEyes·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
Resident Hebrew Tribesman
.:Woad creations:Blackstorm Inventions:.
AoE is my game,
SnakeEyes is my name!!!

posted 11-29-03 14:33 EST (US)     23 / 90  
Already under way... Chosen Corfe Castle.

http://www.isleofpurbeck.com/corfe.html

posted 11-30-03 02:09 EST (US)     24 / 90  
Corfe Castle, an excellent choice ShoeMaker

To Nat, Harlech was an still is Essentially Concentric, yes. The Massive Great Gatehouse was designed to function as a Keep. It could even be self contained should the rest of the castle be taken. Remember, the versatile attacking Siege map can be created without a Keep or Lord. Actually my next submit 'Henn Dommen' has a Lord but no Keep as of right now. I May delete him however, as it is giving me a couple of niggles. Working on it! Alas, I regress from the topic at hand.

posted 11-30-03 07:08 EST (US)     25 / 90  
You took some of the words out of my mouth... With the castle we are doing - Llansteffan castle there is no keep so my conclusion with the map was to make an attacking siege map for once and include a lord but no keep. Dont know what problems will arise though.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » STRONGHOLD DESIGN COMPETITION
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames